Halloween and the Holidays: Preventing Tooth Decay
With the neverending candy supply and yummy desserts served at fall and winter parties, Halloween is the commencement for all sweet heavy holidays. With this in mind, knowledge of tooth decay prevention is a big factor in helping to keep your mouth happy and healthy!
We should be cautious and limit the amount of sugary food we consume, but during the season of cavities, it’s extra important to be aware of potential tooth decay causes.
Here are some tips to help your kids enjoy Halloween!
- Always make sure they brush and floss regularly- not just Halloween!
- Be aware of your child’s brushing and flossing techniques as it is super important they are brushing away the candy stuck in their teeth.
- Take notice of what candy they are consuming.
- Hard candies stay in the mouth the longest leaving the most time for potential tooth decay.
- Have your child consume more chocolate than candy.
- Chewy and gummy candies get stuck in teeth and also end up spending the most time in the mouth
- Sugar-free candy is beneficial!
- Try to give your kids candy with the meals they have- it sounds crazy but trust us on this one!
- Be sure they are drinking lots of water with the treats they consume. Water helps to rinse the mouth of sugars lessening the enamel contact.
It is important to watch what will effectively reduce your child’s risk of cavities and tooth decay. Candy should not be totally shunned, but it should also never serve as your child’s go-to snack. Make sure to follow up with these tips for a teeth-friendly Halloween and Fall!